Monday, December 31, 2018

peppermint meringues


This is one of my absolute favorite Christmas treats. I found the recipe in a book called Low-Fat Meals when I was nannying at nineteen and composing my first online recipe collection (when my dad had to make the website for me, ha). Ah, memories... This treat is now something I try to make every Christmastime, and my kids (especially my son) adore them as much as I do.



RECIPE: Peppermint Meringues

Ingredients:
2 egg whites *
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
2/3 c sugar
1/4 cup candy canes, finely crushed

Directions:
Place egg whites in a medium mixing bowl and *let stand at room temperature for 1 hour. Add vanilla and cream of tartar to egg whites. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight) and sugar is almost dissolved.

Grease cookie sheet; set aside. Gently fold crushed candies into beaten egg whites. Drop from a rounded teaspoon 1 1/2 inches apart on a prepared cookie sheet. Bake in a 325 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until set and lightly browned on the edges. Turn off oven. Let dry ion oven with door closed for 20 minutes. Remove from sheet. Store in an airtight container.

** Also try Chocolate Peppermint Meringues {I never have}. Simply prepare Peppermint Meringues as above. Sift cocoa powder and stir into crushed candies. Fold into beaten egg whites. Continue as above.

No comments:

Post a Comment