Saturday, January 24, 2009

german pancakes with apple

In college, an old roommate of mine {Sarah} introduced me to German Pancakes. She was from the south {Louisiana, I think}, so maybe this is a southern thing. I don't even know. Wherever it came from {GERMANY, perhaps??}, it is really yummy! I didn't have a recipe but wanted to make it one day, so I scoured the web in search of a good recipe. I found a few that looked good, but liked only bits and pieces of them instead of any one as a whole. So I took a little from this one, a little from that -- until I came up with my {sort of} own recipe. Then the other day, I wanted to make it healthier, so I thought of adding the apples {which seemed a natural flavor to pair with the cinnamon} and improvised with that. It turned out really yummy... and pretty, too.

This is a really easy, cheap meal to make. And it's super versatile. I usually make it for breakfast, but it's a perfect brunch/brinner/whatever sort of meal! I often put a square of it on a big plate then decorate it with a zig-zag of maple syrup and a sprinkle of cinnamon. It makes the whole meal feel fancy and fun!



RECIPE: German Pancakes

Yield: 8 servings
Calories: 297

Ingredients:
1 apple, cored and diced/sliced
1/4 c. butter
1 c. white flour
1 c. wheat flour
2 c. milk
12 eggs
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 F. Put all ingredients into a mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.

Dump the batter into the casserole dish. The apples will likely float to the top. Sprinkle the whole thing with cinnamon, for looks, then pop the whole thing into the oven. I usually put it on the almost-bottom rack, so the top doesn't burn before the mix is cooked through.

Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the center is stiff and non-jiggly and the apples are nicely browned. Serve with maple syrup... and savor.

1 comment:

  1. These are a STAPLE food at our house... I grew up with them and am a firm believer that no Saturday is complete without them! (Especially in the winter!) However- I've never had them with apples before, I will totally have to try this.

    ReplyDelete