Sunday, September 9, 2012

quick chickpea curry

Image source:  http://mykentuckyhome-kim.blogspot.com/
I adapted this recipe from one posted on Stirring the Pot, who had apparently adapted hers from Martha Stewart.  I made it according to the first recipe but found that there just wasn't enough KAPOW! for my liking.  I was hoping it would taste more like the Chana Samosa (minus the samosa, obviously) from our local Indian restaurant.  Mmm.  Anyway, I added a bit of this and a bit of that until I came up with something that tasted right to me.  And it was a hit!  Now to remember what I did... I think it was something like this.



RECIPE: Quick Chickpea Curry

Serves: 5 small (though adequate) bowlfuls
Calories: 173

Ingredients:
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
5 garlic cloves, minced
5 tsp curry powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 cans (15oz) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
3 Tbsp ketchup
2-3 c water
1/4 tsp garam masala
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1 teensy pinch of cayenne pepper (opt)
1 tsp mint chutney
2 Tbsp tamarind chutney
1 Tbsp (-ish) chopped cilantro 
1 small splash of lemon juice

Directions:
In a large large skillet over medium-high heat, heat olive oil.  Add onion and cook, stirring constantly, until dark brown around edges, about 6 minutes.  Add garlic, curry, and cinnamon, stirring until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

Add chickpeas, ketchup, and water.  Bring to a boil.  Add garam masala, garlic powder and cayenne pepper (opt).  Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook 15ish minutes (don't let it go dry... probably lifting the lid much is a bad idea).  If needed, uncover and increase heat to medium-high and stir until sauce is slightly reduced.  Add chutneys, cilantro and lemon juice.  Mix well.

Serve warm, with naan if you've got it.  And enjoy!

*Note: I get my chutneys from the above mentioned Indian restaurant where they make them in-house.  The grocery store variety would probably work but is nowhere near as nummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment