Wednesday, October 12, 2011

slow-cooker curried chicken


My friend Missy referred me to the original recipe (found here). It sounded delicious. As I was making it, I improvised a bit: turning it into a slow-cooker recipe and changing up the ingredients a bit. I came up with this. It turned out fabulously, if I do say so myself. I will definitely be making this again!



RECIPE: Slow-Cooker Curried Chicken

Serves: 6
Calories: 315*


Ingredients:

2 lbs chicken breast
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 bell pepper, diced
5 baby carrots, thinly sliced
1/3 c. butter, melted
1/3 c. honey
1/3 c. dijon mustard
5 tsp. curry powder
1 pinch cayenne pepper
S&P
(opt) fresh cilantro

Directions:

Place a couple of thin slices of the butter down in the slow-cooker first. Arrange the chicken breasts on top. Grind some salt and pepper to season the breasts. Add the chopped onion, bell pepper and carrots. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients. Pour this mixture over the chicken/veggies. Add a bit of water around the edges if you think it needs it (I did- about 1/4 c is all).

Set slow cooker to high and cook for 4-5 hrs or until chicken is cooked through.

Serve over basmati rice and top with fresh cilantro. Mmm! ;)


*Basmati rice adds another 170 calories (ish) per 1/2 c. of rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment