Thursday, May 17, 2012

relief society soup


This recipe comes to me from my sister-in-law, Mindy, who got it from my mother-in-law, Julie.  :)  I'm not sure where Julie got it or if it is her original recipe.  Either way, it's nummy.  I had some leftover mashed potatoes that I needed to use up before they went bad and was not in the mood to eat them yet again as plain ol' mashed potatoes {apparently even mashed potatoes can get old after several days}.  So I brainstormed and remembered this soup.  This is my quasi-tweaked version, based on what I had on hand and what sounded good.  But it's still quite delicious!  A good one to remember.

PS.  If you're curious where the name came from, the Relief Society is a women's organization that is part of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  As part of the society, women serve one another in various ways- among them bringing dinner to others {ie. after a baby is born, or after a loved one dies, or when someone is sick... basically whenever making dinner one's self would be difficult}.  I imagine this was at one time a go-to dinner to whip up for such an occasion.  There's something that says "comfort food" about this, so it'd be appropriate. :)

PS#2.  I used 3 Tbs of bullion and was afraid it would be way too salty.  But I think it must have been a magic touch, because both of my kids loved the soup!  Jolie even had seconds!  Now, my kids are pretty fickle about their food often adore something one day and hate it the next.  But with all things considered, I'm counting this one as a success!



RECIPE: Relief Society Soup

Yield: about 10 (really full) adult servings

Calories: 221

Ingredients:
1 bag (1 lb) frozen cauliflower
1 bag (1 lb) frozen broccoli (chopped is easiest)
2 Tbs chicken bullion granules
1 Tbs Lowry's seasoning
1 stick butter
2 c. potato pearls (I used 2 c. leftover mashed potatoes and 1 c. pearls)
1 c. milk

Directions:
Chop your veggies if necessary.  Add veggies to large soup pot.  Cover with water (about 10 cups).  Add butter, bullion and Lowry's.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, and simmer (on med-ish heat) for about 25 minutes, or until veggies are soft.  Smash a bit with a potato masher.  Add potatoes, stir well, and bring to a boil again.  Reduce again, and simmer until potatoes are well-incorporated.  Remove from heat.  Add milk and give a stir.  Then serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment